Filled with classic Italian flavours, this vegetarian sandwich is savoury and filling.
Adapted from: http://www.ocado.com/webshop/startWebshop.do
1. Preheat the grill to its highest setting. Line the grill rack with a sheet of foil and place the peppers on it. Grill until their skins scorch and blacken, turning them regularly so they char evenly.
2. Seal the peppers in a plastic bag, allowing the steam to loosen the skins. When the peppers are cool enough to handle, remove the stalks from the peppers, peel away their skins, remove the seeds, and cut the flesh into thick strips.
3. If using a large focaccia, slice it in half through the centre, then across into 4 equal pieces. If using 2 medium focaccia, cut through the centre of each, then across in half. Toast the bread lightly on both sides and spread the cut sides with the sun-dried tomato purée.
4. Line the grill rack with foil, place the tomato halves on it, cut–sides up, and drizzle with the olive oil. Season to taste with black pepper and grill for 5 minutes, or until the tomatoes have softened but are not falling apart.
5. Arrange the tomato halves and pepper slices on the focaccia bases. Top with the mozzarella and a few basil leaves, whole or torn, and drizzle over any oil and juices from grill rack. Place the remaining focaccia halves on top and serve with extra tomatoes and basil alongside.
2 Orange Peppers,
8 Rosemary Focaccia
4 tbsp Sun-Dried Tomato Purée
8 Plum Tomatoes, halved, plus extra to serve
2 tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1 pinch Black Pepper, freshly ground
225g Buffalo Mozzarella, torn into small pieces
1 handful Basil Leaves, plus extra to serve
Total time required 40 mins
Preparation time: 20 mins
Cooking time: 20 mins
Other time: cooling
Recipe published with permission from © Dorling Kindersley Limited. The Cooking Book 2008 http://www.dorlingkindersley-uk.co.uk/